St. Michaels is a charming town in Talbot County, Maryland, United States. It is known for its picturesque waterfront views, historic sites, and cultural attractions.
The town was founded in the early 18th century and played a significant role in the maritime industry, serving as a center for shipbuilding, fishing,
and seafood processing. During the War of 1812, St. Michaels was the site of a skirmish between British forces and local militia, known as the Battle of St. Michaels. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, St. Michaels became a popular summer resort for wealthy families from Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Today, St. Michaels is a popular tourist destination, known for its historic charm, water views, and local festivals and events.
Today, St. Michaels remains a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. Its charming downtown area is filled with shops, restaurants, and galleries, and its rich history and cultural attractions continue to attract visitors from around the world.
- Population: As of the 2020 U.S. Census, St. Michaels had a population of 1,056 people.
- Median age: 55 years old
- Racial makeup: 81.7% White, 14.9% African American, 2.2% Hispanic or Latino
- Gender makeup: 53.5% female, 46.5% male
- Major industries: tourism, agriculture, fishing
- Average household income: $82,500
- Major employers: Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, local restaurants and shops, and bed and breakfasts.
- St. Michaels is part of the Talbot County Public Schools system, which includes several elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools.
- St. Michaels Country Day School is a private school serving students from preschool through eighth grade.
Culture and attractions:
- Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum: showcases the history and ecology of the Chesapeake Bay through interactive exhibits, demonstrations, and tours.
- St. Michaels Museum: houses historical artifacts and provides a glimpse into the town’s rich past.
- St. Michaels Winery and Distillery: offers tastings and tours of their award-winning wines and spirits.
- St. Michaels Farmers’ Market: offers fresh produce, seafood, and artisanal goods from local vendors.
- Outdoor activities: opportunities for boating, fishing, kayaking, biking, and hiking.
- St. Michaels Wine Festival
- St. Michaels Brewfest
- St. Michaels Running Festival
- Christmas in St. Michaels
- Directory of Restaurants
- St. Michaels Visitor Center: provides information on local attractions, events, and accommodations.
- Talbot County Free Library: offers a variety of services and programs, including free access to books, audiobooks, and digital resources.
- Talbot County Chamber of Commerce: promotes local businesses and events and provides networking opportunities for entrepreneurs and professionals.
- St. Michaels Police Department: ensures the safety and security of the community.
- St. Michaels Fire Department: responds to emergencies and provides fire prevention education.
Overall, St. Michaels is a vibrant community with a rich history and diverse attractions. Whether you are interested in exploring the town’s museums and cultural sites, or enjoying the great outdoors, St. Michaels offers something for everyone. Let us make your dream of living in St. Michaels a reality! Visit us at cbchesapeake.com